Chickpeas with Garlic, Tomatoes, & Green Chilies
Oct 28, 2009
- 18 to 24 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 2 cups tomato sauce, canned or homemade
- 6 1/2 cups boiled, drained chickpeas
- 6 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled & cut into 3/4 in. cubes
- 1 1/2-2 tsp. salt
- 5 fresh hot green chilies
- 2 tsp. ground cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Put the garlic into the food processor or blender. Add 1/4 cup water and blend until a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot over a medium-high flame. When hot, put in the cumin seeds. A few seconds later, put in the garlic paste.
- Fry for about 2 minutes, stirring all the time. Add the tomato sauce. Keep stirring and cook for another minute.
- Add the drained chickpeas, diced potatoes, 2 cups water, salt, green chilies, ground cumin, lemon, and cayenne.
- Stir gently and bring to a simmer.
- Cover, turn heat to low, and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Perfect meal for veggie lovers