Terrible smell of the refrigerator is a common problem of every household. There are very simple natural solutions to this issue which are easy to apply, but before moving on to the solutions it is very important to understand the causes of this unpleasant smell and the significance of keeping your fridge hygienic.
Significance of Keeping the Refrigerator Clean
- It keeps the bacteria away.
- The food stored remains hygienic.
- You get rid of the awful smell.
- Better circulation of the airflow will help in keeping the eatables fresh.
Causes of the Awful Smell
- Stale food leftovers result in the unpleasant smell and the bacteria found in such food items are injurious to health.
- Spilled milk stench is very strong and turns the whole fridge into a rotten box.
- Bacteria start to grow in the stagnant water which in turn causes odor.
- Electricity failure makes the frozen stuff soften and this sometimes results in the unpleasant smell.
- Uncovered items diffuse their strong smell.
- The thermostat issue can also result in stinky fridge as the temperature control gets disturbed and the frozen food gets defrosted.
- Fruits and vegetables get rotten and smell really dreadful if not treated right away.
- Going on vacations, leaving the fridge unattended can result in the unpleasant smell too.
Natural Remedies to Keep the Refrigerator Odorless
- Prevention is the first and foremost action to be taken. Keep your refrigerator clean and this will surely keep the bad smell away.
- A piece of coal in a small cup or plate, if placed in the refrigerator will help keep the aroma off eatables away.
- Mix some baking soda in warm water and clean your fridge by dipping a sponge in the water. Baking soda has an odor absorbing elements and is a very effective way and an inexpensive solution to the problem.
- Covering the eatables properly will help to keep their strong smells away.
- When you go for vacations, clean your fridge and make sure all the perishable items that can go stale are out of the refrigerator.
- White vinegar can also be used to clean the fridge and keep it fresh.
- Coffee beans in a jar are used in perfume shops to neutralize the strong perfume smells when you go to choose a perfume. The same technique can be used for your refrigerator. Put a small cup or jar of coffee beans with its lid open to defuse the smell.
- Do not over load your fridge with stuff as this hinders the circulation of the airflow which causes food spoilage.
- Be careful of the expired products. Keep the products with close expiry in front so you can use them before they perish.
- Spread a thick paper or newspaper on the shelves. This will ease the cleaning if something spills on it.
All the above tips to keep your fridge fresh are natural, affordable and easy to apply. It is very important to clean your fridge regularly but do not use dangerous chemicals, bleach and other such products to clean the fridge as this can be harmful for your health.