Bitter Melon in Urdu: تلخ تربوز
Bitter Melon in Roman Urdu: Tulkh tarbooz
Bitter melon also knows as bitter gourd, bitter squash ad balsam pear is an edible fruit which is extremely bitter in taste. It is mostly cultivated in Asia and Africa. It is found in many varieties which differs in taste and shape. This fruit is mostly found in two colors green and yellow, but it is mostly eaten when it is green or when it is about to turn yellow but still it tastes bitter. It has a long oblong shape with watery surface but it may different in shape ad size in different regions, it is mostly used for culinary purposes and have other benefits too.
Bitter melon health benefits
- Bitter melon is very low in calories, with that it is very much rich in minerals,vitamins, antioxidants and dietary fiber.
- Bitter gourd is an excellent remedy for diabetes, it contains a compound name phyto-nutrient which helps to lower the blood sugar level in the body.
- Bitter melon helps in digestion. it eases down the bowl movement hence digest the food easily and solve constipation issues.
- The phyto chemical compound found in it is also vital for the treatment of HIV infections.
- It is rich in folate, vitamin B and vitamin C which is important for your body to fight against many diseases.
- the high beta cortane in it very useful for healthy eyesight.
- Bitter gourd juice have a lot of health benefits too,it is beneficial for treating blood disorders, very good if taken in early stage of cholera, regular consumption of this juice improves energy and stamina level in body, helps in liver cleansing, helps to boost the immune system and improves respiratory disorders.
Bitter melon can be easily found in markets in all seasons, when you purchase them you just have to make sure that its fresh and dark green and no cuts on the skin. its basic use is for culinary purposes people usually in parts of India Pakistan make a gravy out of it by adding some herbs masalas and other vegetables, other then that it is been used in pickling preparations and bitter melon powder is sometimes also used in te preparation of iced or milk tea.
Though bitter melon has alot of nutritional advantages but too much of consumption is not good it can lead to nausea or diarrhea. Pregnant women should consume it less as it stimulates uterus which can lead to preterm labor or miscarriage.