Fenugreek Seeds in Urdu: میتھی
Fenugreek Seeds in Roman Urdu: Meethi
From the family of fabaceae a plant of fenugreek is found which has seeds that are used in various types of recipes especially in the Indian sub-continent. The leaves grow 1 to 2 feet high and are light green in color and the seed resembles the shape of stones. Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, Nepal, Iran, Bangladesh, Egypt, Spain, France, Argentina, Morocco and Turkey are the major producers of it with the largest producer being India. It is used in vegetables, pickles, mixed spices, lentils and spinach.
The seeds are also used in many traditional medicines for patients having cough or digestive problems and increases breast feed in mothers if the seeds are added to cereals or bread.
Nutrition and Health benefits:
- Rich in Vitamins, phytonutrients and minerals. There are 323 calories in 100 grams of fenugreek seeds.
- Contains healthy amounts of dietary fiber.
- Lowers down blood pressure and cholesterol level.
- Makes digestion easier and prevents constipation.
- Patients having diabetes are recommended to have these seeds as it contains a lot of fibers.
- The spice enriches us with iron, potassium, calcium, copper, zinc and magnesium which help in controlling the heart rate.
One of the disadvantages of fenugreek seed is that if you take it excessively, it can give a premature birth in women. Therefore, it is advised to take these seeds in quantities that give you benefits rather than drawbacks. Moreover, fenugreek tea which is made by adding 1 tsp of seeds, a cup of water and some herbs in a cup gives you a lot of benefits like treatment for constipation, blood pressure, low appetite and many more.