- 800 grams Mutton, 1/2 inch pieces on the bone
- 8 Whole dry red chilies
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tsp Onion seeds (kalonji)
- 7 tsp Mustard oil
- 4 medium Onions, chopped
- 2 inch piece Ginger, chopped
- 15-20 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 4 medium Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Coarsely ground the masala. (fennel seeds, onion seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds)
- Heat mustard oil in a thick-bottomed pan to smoking point, cool and heat it again.
- Add onions and sauté till brown. Add ginger and garlic and continue to sauté.
- Add coarsely ground masala powder. Cook for half a minute, stirring all the time.
- Add mutton, cook on high heat till mutton pieces are well browned.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt and mix well. Cook till oil leaves the masala.
- Add two and half cups of water, bring it to a boil and cover.
- Cook on medium heat till the mutton is fully done.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
Mutton cooked in Mustard oil with onion seeds, fennel and fenugreek seeds.