Chicken Rezala by Zarnak Sidhwa
Aug 26, 2015
- Chicken pieces 1 kg
- Onions (ground) 4
- Ginger (ground) 1-1/2 inch
- Freshly crushed white peppercorns 1 tbsp
- Black peppercorns 1 tbsp
- Whole dry red chilies 4-5
- Cashew nuts 100 gm
- Poppy seeds 50 gm
- Yogurt 200 gm
- Green cardamoms 5-6
- Cinnamon sticks 4-5
- Cloves 4-5
- Rose water 4-5 tbsp
- Ghee or Butter 2 tbsp
- Oil as required
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Soak poppy seeds and cashew nuts for 30 minutes in water and make a smooth paste.
- Wash chicken pieces well and marinate them with yogurt, poppy seeds paste, cashew nuts paste, ginger paste, white pepper powder and 1 tbsp rose water for at least 1 hour.
- Now heat oil and ghee together in wok and add whole garam masala, red chilies, black peppercorns and wait for them to crackle.
- Then add onion paste and fry till oil separates.
- Add marinated chicken and continue frying for 10 minutes.
- When chicken starts turning light brown, add seasoning and warm water.
- Cover and cook till chicken gets tender.
- Switch off flame and add remaining rose water.
- Mix well, cover and let simmer.
Chicken Rezala is Mughlai Cuisine and originated in Bengal. It is prepared with Chicken & Rose Water, marinated with Yogurt & Cashew Nut and served with Plain Rice or Naan.