Strawberry Custard Tartlets
- 175 gm plain (all-purpose) flour
- 5 ml ground cinnamon
- 75 gm butter, diced
- 15 ml caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- Cold water, to mix
- 200 gm of custard
- 15 ml orange juice
- 15 strawberries
- 45 ml redcurrant jelly
- 20 ml water
- In a bowl, sift the flour and cinnamon. Add the butter and rub in with the fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Add in the egg yolk and enough cold water to form firm dough.
- On a lightly floured surface knead gently. Wrap in Clingfilm (plastic wrap) and store in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll out and use to line 15 sections of tartlet tins. Prick the bases with a fork.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6 for 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- In a separate bowl, blend the custard with the orange juice and spoon into the cases.
- Top each with a halved strawberry. Melt the redcurrant jelly in the measured water and brush all over the surface of each tartlet.
- Chill until ready to serve.
The Summer Dessert