- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 medium cooking apples (such as Rome Beauty, Granny Smith, or Jonathan)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Process the almonds in a food processor until nuts are finely ground.
- Add sugar, water, and almond extract. Cover and process until mixture is nearly smooth: then set aside.
- Peel apples. Cut off about 1/2-inch from bottom of each apple so it will stand upright. Use an apple corer to core apples.
- Brush apples with melted butter. Roll apples in the fine dry bread crumbs to completely cover.
- Place in a rectangular baking dish. Spoon almond mixture evenly into centers of apples.
- Bake apples in a 350 F oven for 70 to 80 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Spoon over warm baked apples.
For a healthy dessert, try these Almond-Stuffed Apples