Thaali by Zarnak Sidhwa
- Toor daal 1 cup
- Raw peanuts 1/4 cup
- Fenugreek seeds 1 pinch
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Green chilies 2
- Tomato 1
- Jaggery 3 tbsp
- Dry mango powder 1 tsp
- Ginger 2 tsp
- Lemon 1
- Coriander finely chopped 1/4 cup
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Ghee 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds 1/8 tsp
- Whole dried red chili 1
- Whole cloves 4
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Curry leaves few
- For daal: Drain soaked toor daal and add to pressure cooker with water, fenugreek seeds, salt, peanuts and turmeric powder.
- Pressure cook till done.
- Once tender, add red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, green chilies, tomato, ginger and jaggery.
- Mix well and add 3-4 cups of water (little at time) to get desired consistency.
- Allow daal to boil for 10 minutes more.
- For seasoning: Heat oil and ghee in small pan.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them pop.
- Add fenugreek seeds, cloves, cinnamon, dried red chilies and curry leaves.
- Mix briefly and add seasoning to boiling daal.
- Add lemon juice and mango powder to get desired tartness.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Tip: To add another level of sweetness and flavor, try adding dried dates while boiling daal.
Recipe of Thaali by Zarnak Sidhwa in Food Diaries on Masala TV