Sticky Toffee Pudding
For the pudding:
- 150gm dates, stones removed, chopped
- 250ml hot water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60gm butter, softened
- 60gm oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150gm self-raising flour
For the toffee sauce:
- 200gm butter
- 400gm brown sugar
- vanilla pod, split
- 250ml heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C/370F/Gas 4.
- In a bowl, mix the dates, bicarbonate of soda and the water together and leave to soak for ten minutes.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, one by one, making sure to beat well after every addition.
- Still stirring, gradually add the flour, and then add the date mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a cake tin. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar, vanilla pod and cream and stir well. Simmer for five minutes.
- To serve, spoon out a portion of the pudding onto a plate and pour over the hot toffee sauce.
The classic sweet