Apple-Butter Barbecued Chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 to 7 pounds roasting chicken
- 11 ½ ounces unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- In a bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne; and then sprinkle over chicken.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a deep pan. Pour the apple juice into the pan.
- Holding the chicken with legs pointed down, lower chicken over the can so it fills the body cavity. Place chicken on grill rack over the pan.
- Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Mix butter and barbecue sauce; baste chicken occasionally during the last 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Sweet and fruity barbequed chicken