Samosa has been originated from the Central Asia centuries ago. From there it travelled to the South Asian countries, from Egypt to Libya and from Central Asia to India, this triangular shaped savory item has gained immense popularity. It was originally named ‘samsa’ named after the pyramids in Egypt. It was introduced in the South Asia by the Middle Eastern chefs in the Delhi Sultanate rule.
From the beginning these minced filled triangles were cooked over camp fire. In the beginning they were always filled with minced meat but nowadays people have tweaked these samosas according to their taste and liking. Nowadays we find a lot of variety in the market of various types of samosas.
Samosas are packed into readymade strips called samosa sheet. These give samosas the perfect rectangular shape. Samosa sheets are also made at home with flour (maida) but these are slightly thicker than the conventional ones.
Minced Meat Samosas
These are the conventional samosas that were first originated. They can be made out minced mutton beef or chicken. Meat samosas are considered an equivalent of delicious meat kababs.
- 1 kg beef mince (mutton, beef chicken)
- 500 gm onions
- finely diced (you can reduce one or two if you prefer less onions),
- 2 tbsp dhania zeera (combination of cumin and coriander powder),
- 1 tbsp grinded cumin powder,
- 1 tsp garam masala,
- juice of 1 lemon,
- 1 tsp turmeric powder,
- 1 tsp garlic paste,
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander,chopped,
- 1 tsp ginger paste, 2-3 green chilies, chopped,
- 1 tbsp butter,
- salt to taste
- Clean/wash and drain mince and put it in a deep pan, add all the above mentioned ingredients.
- Like ginger, garlic, chilies, salt, spices (save the garam masala for last), half of the chopped coriander and half of the lemon juice.
- Dry the mince by stirring it constantly.
- Add chopped onions while it is still hot and stir on low heat.
- Add turmeric powder and mix for a few minutes.
- Add butter, coriander and garam masala at this moment. Let it cool down.
- Then fill it into the samosa sheet.
- And deep fry them until golden brown.
- Serve with green chutney or ketchup.
More Meat Samosa Recipes
Vegetable samosas are made the same way as the conventional samosas but instead of mince various types of vegetables can be used.
These include peas, green chilies and potatoes etc.
Some people make samosas only out of potatoes. Potatoes are boiled and peeled. Then they are mashed and seasoned with chaat masala, salt, and coriander power and cumin powder. These are filled in the samosa sheet and deep fried. Pakoras made of Potato is also a good recipe to try.
Featured Vegetable Samosa Recipes
One of the variations of samosas is cheese samosa. They super easy o make and taste delicious. These are very good for small, one biters and can be served at parties. They taste delicious. A mixture of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese is filled into the samosas sheet. Then deep fry them until they are golden brown and crisp. Serve hot with ketchup, so the cheese is still melted.
Featured Cheese Samosa Recipes
This is other variation of samosa. This is a very different and extremely tasty recipe.
The ingredients include
- Samosa sheet as required,
- Mozzarella cheese 150 gm,
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Crushed black pepper 1/2 tsp,
- Chicken mince 300 gm,
- Pizza sauce 5-6 tbsp,
- Chopped capsicum 1,
- Maida 2-3 tbsp,
- Oregano 1/2 tsp,
- Garlic paste 1 tbsp,
- Chopped tomato 1,
- Oil to fry ,
- Salt to taste,
- Chili garlic sauce or ketchup as required
- Heat oil and put chopped garlic and chicken in wok pan.
- Then add the chopped capsicum and tomato.
- Then remove it from the stove.
- Add lemon juice, pizza sauce, salt and oregano.
- Finally add cheese.
- Let the mixture cool down.
- After it has cooled down fill samosa sheet with the mixture.
- Deep fry in oil until it turns golden brown.
- Serve hot with ketchup or garlic sauce.
Samosa sheets are easily in the market. Yet if you want to try it at home the recipe is given below. The ingredients required for samosa sheets are
- Plain flour 1 kg,
- Water to knead,
- Salt 1 tbsp
- and Oil 7 tbsp.
- Put plain flour and salt in a bowl and knead it with water until the dough is soft.
- Out of this dough make small balls and roll out these small balls into flat bread.
- Apply oil on this flat bread and put flat bread over it.
- Like this place more flat bread and make at least five layers.
- After this roll out a larger flat bread.
- Heat the griddle and cook the bread over it from both the sides.
- After its cooked cut them into their appropriate size.
- Separate each layer.
- Samosa sheets are ready to use.
Recent Samosa Recipes
- Gluten Free Samosa Recipe
Gluten Free Samosa is tasty samosa. Samosa dough is prepared with gluten free plain flour & olive oil, mixed together and kneaded with water. Then filled with cooked potatoes & peas filling, shaped in cone shape and sealed. Then deep fried in oil and serve with tea and sauce or chutney.
- Pakistani Style Traditional Meat Samosa Recipe
Pakistani Style Traditional Meat Samosa is tasty samosa. Chicken or Beef mince is fried with spices & onions, cooked with green chilies & coriander leaves and shredded. Then filled in samosa wraps, sealed and deep fried in oil. Serve with sauce, ketchup or chutney.
- Beef Mince Samosa Recipe
Beef Mince Samosa is tasty snack dish. Beef mince is cooked with onions & spices and mixed with green chilies & coriander leaves. Then filled in maida wraps and deep fried.
- Ultimate Potato Samosa Recipe
Ultimate Potato Samosa is tasty fried snack dish. Potatoes are boiled, mashed and mixed with vegetables & spices. Then filled in triangle samosa dough & deep fried. Serve with any sauce, chutney or dip of your choice.
- Punjabi Samosa Recipe
Punjabi Samosa is tasty samosa. Spices are fried and mixed with boiled & mashed potatoes, boiled peas, green chilies & coriander leaves. Then filled in maida & carom seeds dough. Then deep fried and serve with any sauce or chutney of your choice.
- Samosa Chaat Recipe
Samosa Chaat is very popular snack dish. Samosa is kept on dish with potatoes, tomatoes, onions, green chilies, yogurt & chickpeas and topped with green chutney & red chutney.
- Mix Vegetable Samosa And Gram & Rice Flour Pakora by Chef Gulzar
Chef Gulzar cooked Mix Vegetable Samosa And Gram & Rice Flour Pakora that might be new type of recipe you can cooked for iftar. He made them in his Dawat show on Masala TV
- Chicken Or Badam Ka Samosa And Haray Masalay Ka Chops by Zubaida Tariq
Zubaida Tariq cooked Chicken Or Badam Ka Samosa And Haray Masalay Ka Chops in her Handi show on Masala TV
- Aloo Ka Samosa, Namak Paray And Meethay Paray by Chef Gulzar
Chef Gulzar cooked Aloo Ka Samosa, Namak Paray And Meethay Paray that you could make for refreshment or with tea. He made them in his Dawat show on Masala TV
- Star Sandwich, Pizza Samosa And Coconut Cake by Chef Gulzar
Chef Gulzar cooked Star Sandwich, Pizza Samosa And Coconut Cake that you can make for you guest. You can make them in home easily bu watching the show video here. He made them in his Dawat show on Masala TV
Show More Samosa Recipes