Chicken In Oyster Sauce, Chinese Egg Custard Tarts And Shanghai Noodles by Zarnak Sidhwa
Ingredients for Chicken In Oyster Sauce:
- 1/2 kg chicken strips
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 3-4 chinese dried mushrooms
- 1-2 bamboo shoots, sliced
- 1 can or 4-6 fresh baby corn
- 2 sliced onions
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1-1/2 tbsp corn flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Oil for frying
- Combine the marinade ingredients and add to the chicken add the corn flour last.
- Marinate the chicken for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients.
- Heat wok and add oil.
- When oil is hot, add garlic, ginger and green onion and stir fry on high heat.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry, stirring frequently until the chicken changes color.
- Remove from the wok.
- Add oil and stir-fry the mushrooms, bamboo shoots and baby corn.
- Return the chicken to the wok.
- Make a well in the middle of the wok and add the sauce, giving it a quick re-stir before adding.
- Stir sauce to thicken and mix with meat and vegetables.
- Serve hot.
Ingredients for Chinese Egg Custard Tarts:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 tbsp hot water
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 ounce caster sugar
- Yellow color 1 pinch
- Sift the flour into a large bowl.
- Work the butter into the flour with the tips of your finger, until the mixture has the appearance of bread crumbs.
- Continue kneading, adding the hot water.
- Roll the dough into a large ball, cover with wax paper and refrigerate while preparing the custard filling.
- Lightly beat the eggs, taking care not to produce any air bubbles.
- Stir in the milk and the sugar.
- Add the yellow food color if using.
- On a large, lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until it is thin.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut out circles.
- Fill the circles into the tart shells.
- Pour the filling into the shells.
- Bake until the custard is cooked and a knife in the inserted in the middle come out clean, about 35 minutes.
Ingredients for Shanghai Noodles:
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1-2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 8 ounce angel hair paste
- 2-4 tbsp soya sauce
- 4 ounce sliced cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Heat oil and sesame oil in a pan.
- Saute cabbage and green onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add pasta and soya sauce, chicken and bean sprouts and heat through.
Recipe of Chicken In Oyster Sauce, Chinese Egg Custard Tarts And Shanghai Noodles by Zarnak Sidhwa in Food Diaries on Masala Tv