- 450g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 110g sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 150ml milk
- 15-20 stoned dates or soaked and stoned prunes or jam of your choice
- Oil to fry
- Caster Sugar for garnish
- Sift the flour twice with baking powder, salt nutmeg and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Stir in the sugar, beaten egg and oil.
- Begin to knead and add sufficient milk to form soft dough.
- Knead until smooth and pliable then form into walnut sized balls.
- With your fingers, make a depression in each ball and tuck in a date or prune or teaspoon of jam and then close the opening and re-form the ball.
- Heat enough oil in a large saucepan to deep fry the doughnuts. When the oil is hot, drop 2-3 doughnuts into it and cook over a moderate heat for over 4-5 mins until golden all over and cooked through.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Arrange on a serving dish and sprinkle with castor sugar.
Easy, fruity and delicious homemade doughnuts