Italian Fig Roll Recipe by Zeenat Hussain
Italian Fig Roll is tasty dish. You must try this recipe at home.
- Unsalted butter 1/2 cup
- Grinded sugar 1/2 cup
- Baking soda 1/4 tsp
- Egg 1
- Vanilla essence 1 tsp
- Flour 3/4 cup
- Salt 1 pinch
- Diced figs 1 cup
- Chopped dates or raisins 1/2 cup
- Fresh orange juice 1/2 cup
- Mixed fruit peel 1/2 cup
- Sugar 2 tbsp
- Almonds blanched 1/3 cup
- Lemon zest chopped 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Icing sugar 1 cup
- Lemon or orange juice 2-3 tsp
- Sprinkles as required
- Beat butter and sugar in bowl till pale and fluffy.
- Then add vanilla and egg.
- Now fold in flour.
- Divide dough into 2, flatten it into a rectangle shape and wrap each half in cling film and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- For filling: In a pan add figs, dates, mixed peel, fruit juice, zest, sugar (and cinnamon if using).
- Then bring to boil and reduce heat and keep to simmer for 5-8 minutes till thick.
- Remove from heat and add almonds.
- Stir it, cover and keep aside to cool.
- Remove dough from fridge and keep out for 10-15 minutes.
- The grease tray and line it.
- Preheat oven on 375 degrees C
- Using two parchment paper and flour, roll out each dough into 10x8 then divide into two 10x4.
- Then divide the filling into 4.
- Using cling film, make roll of each filling approximately 9-10 inches.
- Place it onto the rolled dough of 10x4 and using the parchment paper roll it.
- Do the same with the other 3 rolls.
- Place them on the tray, placing the seam side down.
- Bake for 12 minutes, till pale creamish.
- Using a sharp knife cut each roll diagonally using a sharp knife, 1 inch pieces.
- Keep on cooling rack.
- For glaze: Whip sugar and lemon juice till smooth.
- Drizzle on the cookies and sprinkle colored sprinkles.
Italian Fig Roll Recipe is tasty dish. Dough is prepared with flour, egg, sugar & unsalted butter and chilled. Then rolled, filled with fig mixture and baked. Then cut into 1 inch pieces, drizzled with lemon juice glaze, sprinkled with sprinkles and served.